Go Back   Virginia Krawlers Forums > Tech Talk > Recovery Tips and Tricks

Recovery Tips and Tricks Techniques and tricks for a SAFE vehicle recovery. Share your information here.

Custom Search

Please assist Virginia Krawlers continue to grow by letting others know that this community of Virginia based wheelers is online. If you post on another off-road forum of any kind, please think about adding a link to VirginiaKrawlers.com in your signature block on those forums. This has proven to be the most effective way to let other off-road enthusiasts know how to find us.

WE HAVE TWO PLACES TO PICK UP VAK MERCHANDISE, CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ
Default Winch Shootout

Older (just over a year) article from FourWheeler on a big winch test they ran, I thought it was a pretty good comparison of the major winches on the market, deff worth the read:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...inch_shootout/
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
borkap
Mall Crawler

Send a message via AIM to borkap Send a message via MSN to borkap Send a message via Yahoo to borkap

To add to this. When I got my Warn 9.5 TI it was broken by the previous owner. I called warn and they sent me all the parts free even the ones I destroys in the disassemble process. The only ones they wanted me to pay for were the relays which all worked and like a bone head I admitted they did. Mine was a broken planetary gear as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
AutoTraker
Weekend Warrior

Worst review I've ever seen. If this doesn't look like biased reporting towards one of their major advertisers, I don't know what does.
And considering 3 of those winches are all made by the same company in the same plant and marketed under different names yet have quite different scores should tell you something. They gave too much weight to non-empirical data to sway the results. On top of that one piece of important empirical data was excluded from the scoring, the price.....
Just because they are a magazine doesn't mean they tell the truth.
Riggory
AutoTraker
Central Virginia Jeepers
90 ChevYota Truggy
96 White XJ
79 Red CJ-5 (For when the XJ is broke)
Gotta have a backup when you drive a Jeep.
(Clint Eastwood: “President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”)
AutoTraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Onelow1ton
Mall Crawler

Yeah I remember them getting a bunch of crap from readers about that review , it seams like a good review but when you research there's a lot of things that don't seam right

My big gripe with it if it was a true test send all the ones not working out the box back so they could be tested because that's what the consumer will do , and why invite co to send winches get all brands and test , sense they did some rebranded winches why did the not invite smittybilt
Onelow1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

I thought the same thing.. why didn't they send them back and continue on testing them. They were deff giving biased scores in the subjective data.. and they gave a LOT of points to packaging and instructions.. it looked (to me) like they scored them all, then realized if they scored things that way they'd be taking money our of thier own pockets so they went back and just increased the BS points to keep their pockets lined.

BUT, if you look at the emperical data, and actually read the artical you can get a better idea of whats what.. I think anyways

and price 100% should have been in there...

Last edited by 1TN LSYJ; 12-27-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: mistyped, fixed now
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
AutoTraker
Weekend Warrior

Does it really matter what winches they tested or which manufactures they invited, the outcome was a forgone conclusion before they even started testing. Both Warn and Super Winch are heavy advertisers in that mag plus considering both were double or triple price wise compared to the other winches, they should have put the rest of the field to shame but they didn't. What I learned was that I could buy three of the Chinese build T-max winches for the price of a Warn and that if I give the proper weight to the empirical data, I'd be crazy to buy a Warn. I'm sure that wasn't the intent of the review and it was to make Warn out to the best winch no matter what. I cancelled my subscription because of biased reviews like this one.
Riggory
AutoTraker
Central Virginia Jeepers
90 ChevYota Truggy
96 White XJ
79 Red CJ-5 (For when the XJ is broke)
Gotta have a backup when you drive a Jeep.
(Clint Eastwood: “President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”)
AutoTraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

just realized I mistyped, I reversed the names for the data catagories... anyways. I agree, if you look at just the empirical data, the tmax wins, and is WAY cheaper.... Thats why I'm thinking they saw that and had to "adjust" the subjective data results to make warn the winner, cuz like you said, they knew who they were going to name the winner.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
aquickmopar
Mall Crawler

Ya I remember that article. What F'n Idiots. The Warn pretty much failed every test but because it was packaged nice and had good instructions and the remote had the better features it wins? WTF! So a winch that would fail on you when your out using it wins a contest all because it looks pretty in a box. What Morons! Hey guys don't worry I got a pretty instructions book to look at while you guys pull me out of this mud hole because I bought the best winch fourwheeler magazine told me so. Lol.
99 Cherokee Classic 4DR, AW4, NP231- A.A. SYE Tom Woods Drive Shafts. D30 4:10's Locked, D44 4:10's Locked
Lift:
8" RE Lift W/ Control Arm Drop Brackets.
Wheels&Tires:
15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
35x12.50 STT's
Armor:
L.M.P. Front Winch Bumper W/Custom Stinger
Smittybilt H2O 10,000LB Winch
Rustys Front Approach Skid,
Engine / Tranny Skid &
T-Case Skid
Mopar Gas Tank Skid
Custom4x4Fabrication Sliders
J.C.R. Lower Rear Quater Armor
Detours TailBone Rear Tire Carrier
aquickmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
aquickmopar
Mall Crawler

I thought so too.

Hell if all the other winch manufacturers new that's all it takes to win a winch contest, was to make the winch look pretty and not perform well. I think the other companies would have spent more time making the packaging and instructions better instead of wasting time making sure the winch would perform well..... it might have been a tighter contest race.
99 Cherokee Classic 4DR, AW4, NP231- A.A. SYE Tom Woods Drive Shafts. D30 4:10's Locked, D44 4:10's Locked
Lift:
Wheels&Tires:
35x12.50 STT's
Armor:
Engine / Tranny Skid &
T-Case Skid
Mopar Gas Tank Skid
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
borkap
Mall Crawler

Send a message via AIM to borkap Send a message via MSN to borkap Send a message via Yahoo to borkap

HAHA! I feel like I should get a winch cover now for fear of being set fire to for having a Warn. The final results were clearly biased. But me personally I don't care what they rated as number one. As long as they publish the testing methods and results, I am going to cherry pick what is important to me anyway and make my own conclusion.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
aquickmopar
Mall Crawler

Hell they didn't even test the winch I have. So it doesn't really matter to me. I just thought it was pretty funny how biased they were. I personally run a Smittybilt 10,000Lb H20 winch. And love it. Never had a problem and serves me just great. And not too bad of a price either. Hell of a lot less then a Warn that's for sure.
Lift:
Wheels&Tires:
35x12.50 STT's
Armor:
Engine / Tranny Skid &
T-Case Skid
Mopar Gas Tank Skid
Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

I will give the warn something.. they said they were all 9000-9500lb winches. The warn pulled 16k lbs before breaking... BUT, the t-max pulled 16k as well, and didn't break..
Old 12-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
borkap
Mall Crawler

If I ever have to winch 16K then I will have made a very poor choice in lines...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkap View Post
If I ever have to winch 16K then I will have made a very poor choice in diets...

fixed it for ya