Go Back   Virginia Krawlers Forums > Tech Talk > Dirtbikes, ATVs, ETC

Dirtbikes, ATVs, ETC Any talk about Dirtbikes, ATVs, anything that gets you offorad, other than your wheeling rigs.

Custom Search

Please assist Virginia Krawlers continue to grow by letting others know that this community of Virginia based wheelers is online. If you post on another off-road forum of any kind, please think about adding a link to VirginiaKrawlers.com in your signature block on those forums. This has proven to be the most effective way to let other off-road enthusiasts know how to find us.

WE HAVE TWO PLACES TO PICK UP VAK MERCHANDISE, CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #406
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Default The other WR thread

Nice! No more worrying about pinch flats.
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #407
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

So the front fender on this has always bothered me. A, it looks like it is straight from an 80's bike and B, it casts a huge shadow from the headlight because of the angle on it (and causes glare in my face). B is a little more of an issue that A

Been playing with various fenders

Stock. You can see the issue with the shape in that it comes up at an angle then curves down. This blocks a fair bit of light.

09+ KX-F. Pretty much the same problem.

10+ YZ-F. Again, same issue. (old pic)

What I needed is a fender that has a step from where it bolts to the triple vs just being flat like these are.

The 2 fenders I worked down to were 10+ RMZ or 10-13 CRF. I actually found a pic of someone with the CRF fender and it looked to accomplish what I wanted and fit decently with the headlight.

And here it is. Had to drill new holes and trim about 1.5" off the back + a washer on the rear bolts to clear my rad guards.

I almost ordered black and was going to go all black on the plastics, but nobody in the US has them in stock. A seller in Oz has them but it adds about $75 to the price because of shipping. I can get the all white or red/white kit here for the same cost minus the extra shipping (the kits are $125)

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500
'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-08-2017 at 05:04 PM.
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #408
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

The club I'm in assists with a horse enduro twice a year. This was the 100 mile event. We do most of the marking/clearing the trail and running point ahead of the horses on race day to make sure everything is still ok and to hang 500+ glow sticks on the last 1/3 of the trail so the riders who are out after dark can still find their way. They have 24 hours to finish the 100 miles.

6 of us left out at 5:15 am and returned to camp at 7 pm. About 90 miles on Saturday on top of the 100 miles we did Friday. Plus the 85 miles we did the previous weekend.

Some video from when we first set out. I like riding in the dark

On the less fun side of things, myself and the other Joe (both bikes in the above pic) shared 5 flat tires in 2 days. Those trails are rough and not open to motorized traffic except by permit for this event so the rocks are extra pointy. I had 3 punctures (tubliss) and the other guy pinched 2 tubes. I didn't want to waste fresh tires on this stuff so didn't have my mousse'd wheels on the bike.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-11-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #409
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

'54 International
Old 07-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #410
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Again? Didn't you do this last year?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #411
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Yes. This shaft lasted less than a year. At least I was just at a buddy's property screwing around and not in a race this time.

I'm going to try this and see what happens. I already have it all tig'd up, just need to clean it up a bit and put it back in the bike.

If it breaks again, I may find a kicker shaft from another bike with larger splines and splice them together. I'm hoping it won't as the main issue here seems to be the stupid grove husky cuts in to this shaft between the splines and the rest of it, which is now welded up.

You can see the groove here (this was the last shaft that broke and the replacement that just broke)

'54 International
Old 07-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #412
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Put it all back together and kicked it over a bunch and bunch of times. I can see it starting to bend and a tiny crack forming on one side. Ugh, I just want to set it on fire.

'54 International
Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #413
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Have you seen the TM 144. Thats an awesome bike. And also the new Beta 125 2 stroke with electric start.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #414
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Yes, lot of new euro 125's coming out for 2018. Good time to be a small bore guy

Supposedly that Beta has room to go up to 200cc. Very interested in that bike.

I've only ever seen 2 TM's in person, both at enduros. While I do like uncommon bikes, I think those are a bit too out there

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 07-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #415
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Haha. I had to drive to knoxville to a TM dealer. Which just last month became my nearest gasgas dealer as well. I really like them. But I probably wouldn't buy one as my primary bike. I would consider one as an extra bike though.

I do like what I see coming out of all the euro bikes. I want a 250 2 stroke as a primary. I love a small bore, but I like the extra power.

I'll eventually have a very eclectic collection. 2 - 3 years I'll have a new bike either Beta or GasGas.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #416
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

I got tired of there being nobody entered in C-200 so I switched over to C-Vet (30+). I feel like I actually earned this 3rd place against a dozen guys versus a few 200 wins where there was only 2 or 3 other people in the class that weekend. There ended up only being 1 person in C-200 this weekend, who I would have beaten.

I was only 6 points off of 1st place. I hadn't ridden in a month so I could have done better in the first few sections.

The mousses seemed to work fine. It was pretty greasy/slick out there as it had rained Friday night. That 505 cheater rear hooked up great and the GT 216 was solid as always.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 08-07-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #417
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Default The other WR thread

Nice to hear about the mousse's. I'm contemplating a switch here shorty to the Nitro Mousse. I'll be using the kenda triple (fatty gummy) front with the kenda ibex (gummy) rear.

Congrats on the 3rd. Nice to know its earned.