Go Back   Virginia Krawlers Forums > Tech Talk > Build/Fab Section

Build/Fab Section Doing a build? Fab something up? Show it off here. Post up your write ups here too.

Custom Search

Please assist Virginia Krawlers continue to grow by letting others know that this community of Virginia based wheelers is online. If you post on another off-road forum of any kind, please think about adding a link to VirginiaKrawlers.com in your signature block on those forums. This has proven to be the most effective way to let other off-road enthusiasts know how to find us.

WE HAVE TWO PLACES TO PICK UP VAK MERCHANDISE, CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT!

Old 05-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #91
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Navigator is gone. What a headache that was.

Dude was supposed to be here at 10, rolled up at about 11:30. Whatever, the only thing I had penciled in for the day was helping a buddy move so not crying over missing that

This thing had almost new tires on it which I'm keeping to sell, so I told him to bring something to put on it. I had the spare from this truck, he brought a spare from his Navigator and 2 others off Expeditions I think. Well the 2 Exp. ones didn't have big enough holes for the Navi studs. Ugh, shoot me now please. Ended up just running a drill bit through the holes.

Ok so it rolls again, push it out of the driveway and up to the guys trailer (tip deck). This bitch is still heavy as hell so people power wasn't going to cut it. Break out the chain come along. Get it about 1/4 way on the trailer and it sucks the chain in on itself and is now out of commission. Ok fine, pull one of the work machines around and just start pushing it up.

Turns out the fenders on this trailer are too narrow/tall and it won't clear the running boards. Oh for fucks sake.

Ended up pushing it off that trailer, grabbing the Excursion and my trailer, loading it up (I love you warn winch), and delivering it to the guys house for $60. It was about 20 miles round trip.

Then nearly mounted a honda civic that pulled out in front of me shortly after dropping off the Navi. Locking up wheels on everything. If I still had the Navi on the trailer that guy would have been done.

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500
'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 05-14-2017 at 03:13 PM.
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #92
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Default '54 International

Sometimes that crap is such a pain. I helped a neighbor last week and got 5 stitches and a $260 bill for my trouble.

Glad its gone though.
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #93
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ

Uhhggg, sounds like the headache we had going to pick up a jeep Friday.
--We made the last minute call to go pick it up at like 9pm, its an hour away, its raining. The driveway at my house is currently full so the trailer has been parked in the yard on the side of the house. As soon as I hooked the truck up and tried to take off, it sunk into the yard. Hooked one jeep to it and tried pulling, no dice. Had to go pick up the JKU on tons and bring it back and used the winch to get it out. DESTROYED the yard in the process. Finally got on the road by like 10:45, got out to the jeep we were picking up by about midnight, struggled loading this thing up in the rain, on my tall ass trailer. Didn't get home until almost 2am.
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #94
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

After a way too long of a search, I finally got a damn transmission. I'll need to get a shifter assembly, but fuck it, I'm just happy to have the thing. I'll need a clutch too but I can at least bolt this to my engine and stuff it all in the truck and see how it looks and start making mounts and/or cutting big holes in the firewall of the cab

Next task is to clear out all the other projects that have snuck in to the garage while I had the IH outside

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-14-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #95
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Ok, all other projects have been booted out and the IH is back in!

Shoved the engine/trans in.

Had to do some cutting on the firewall, but that was expected.

A lot of the floor bolts in in this cab, so I only had to cut a little bit on the firewall for now. Shifter ended up about 4" behind the original opening.

Wow, that fit in there perfect.

Now the problems

Oil filter wants to occupy the same area as the steering shaft

Both manifolds are resting on the control arms. Steering shaft is going to have some tight angles on it to get around this manifold.

The guys swapping this engine in to mustangs use the Cobra manifolds a lot of the time. The passenger looks about the same, but the drivers side tucks in much tighter from what I can see in pics.

A used pair of manifolds will probably be about $100. Headers start at $400 and go way, way up from there and I'd probably have to chop them up too. If the manifolds don't fix the issue then I'll probably look at building headers from scratch. A shit ton of work and still not as cheap as take off manifolds, but at least they'll fit

Just fyi, standard mustangs have round exhaust ports, this Navigator engine and cobras/mach 1's have rectangle ports, so they don't swap.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-20-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #96
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ

Ouch, looks like you need one of those new bluetooth steering shafts to get around everything!
that motor does look good in there though!
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #97
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Had to move the engine forward an inch so I could put the power steering pump back on.

It is tight in this area. I may have to raise the engine some to free up room here.

An oil filter relocation plate and exhaust manifolds/headers have jumped to the top of the 'need to buy' list.

I'm watching a set of headers on ebay that end in a few hours and the seller did a very bad job listing it, so I think they may go real cheap. If not I'm stuck between cheap oem cast manifolds and hope they fit or just putting up the cashola for a pile of tubing and flanges. Looks like it would be about $350 to build them out of SS.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-21-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #98
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Ok, won the headers. Hope they work out, but if not I should be able to resell and not lose anything on them.

These things are $630 from Summit

I also ordered the oil filter relocation plate for the block. They are extremely proud of this piece but it is also the best looking option besides the Ford Racing piece which is discontinued now. I could easily spend as much with these folks as I did on the truck for trick engine parts

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-23-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #99
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Miles of room without that pesky manifold in the way. Please note the precision engine holding up device

Start of mounting plate. Gotta wait for headers to show up before I make it permanent.

'54 International
Old 06-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #100
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Since I'm waiting on headers, I figured I'd stick the fenders back on and see how it was looking.

Plenty of room for the radiator and a/c condenser.

'54 International
Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #101
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

More sheet metal. Trimmed up the inner fenders so they would fit. Still lots of room

'54 International
Old 06-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #102
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

One problem with this intake manifold is the throttle body that bolts right on is drive by wire. I've been doing a bunch of reading on this and apparently nobody has found a cable throttle body that just bolts on. Sigh. The most common solution that folks are doing is welding a new flange on for the standard oval throttle body found on the cobras.

I hesitated a bit before this. Oh this is expensive, oh what am I doing, oh god SLICE .... ok the hard part is done now

New flange welded on (forgot to take a pic of it before)

Another issue is the DBW cars just use the throttle body/ecu for controlling idle, so I had to add a normal IAC valve too.

I derp'd and welded it on 180* out. Fortunately I can get a different valve that has the connector pointing up instead of out the side/into the firewall. I'll need to run a hose from the nipple over to the intake before the throttle body.

Kind of want to make a clear plenum for this, seems a shame to hide this sexyness

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-26-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #103
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Headers came in. Not as huge of an improvement as I was hoping on the drivers side. At least it isn't sitting on the control arm anymore. Worst case I can probably cut and reweld the #1 primary to come up at more of an angle before it turns to the rear.

I can fit both headers in without having to lift the engine or anything stupid like that. I need to get new hardware as the original nuts rusted to the studs. Fortunately every single one of them screwed out and I don't have to drill/tap any of them

Pass side, although clearance wasn't bad on this side with the manifold.

In other news, I ordered a wheel to experiment on. 18x8 steelie off of the current Taurus/Explorer police interceptors. I'm hoping to recenter it to get the backspace I need without needing spacers or adapters as it is the correct lug pattern already.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-27-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #104
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

My test wheel showed up today. 18x8. Unmodified, it would need a 4" spacer to fit correctly

Little bit of grinding and lot of BFH action and the center is out of the rim. This rim if from a 2015 police interceptor Taurus and this center stamping is 1/4" steel

I flipped the center and now have a custom back spaced wheel. I still need to true it and reweld the center in place. Plus a new valve stem hole. Then sand blasting/repaint.

*edit*

Stuck it on the rear to see how it looked. I think it is damn near perfect on the rear at this offset.

Pulled a spring off the front to see how it fit at full stuff. I think I can deal with this

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 06-30-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #105
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Went back to the start of the thread and fixed a bunch of pics that were on Photobucket. Jesus that is a pain.

Not sure if it is worth the effort in to other threads

'54 International