Go Back   Virginia Krawlers Forums > Tech Talk > Build/Fab Section

Build/Fab Section Doing a build? Fab something up? Show it off here. Post up your write ups here too.

Custom Search

Please assist Virginia Krawlers continue to grow by letting others know that this community of Virginia based wheelers is online. If you post on another off-road forum of any kind, please think about adding a link to VirginiaKrawlers.com in your signature block on those forums. This has proven to be the most effective way to let other off-road enthusiasts know how to find us.

WE HAVE TWO PLACES TO PICK UP VAK MERCHANDISE, CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT!

Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #121
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

I actually really like the miata handles. I'm just not sure how it would look on the truck as I'll still have the oem turn style handles on the hood (although I did buy some new latches to experiment with to maybe get rid of those things)

A problem I've discovered with the vintage handles is actually finding a set in decent shape that isn't $$$$$ or $$$ for repops. Looking around on craigslist, I can buy a complete miata door for around $50 each Plus they would probably be easier to setup as most vintage handles are an in/out motion while the miata handle operates up/down already. And can be very simply modified so the integrated lock blocks the handle from opening vs needing a locking door latch mechanism.

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500
'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 08-01-2017 at 03:07 PM.
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #122
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Speaking of latches, these showed up today. The big ones and plates are for the doors, the mini ones I'm going to try and use for the hood latches.

The stock latch system. It still worked fine, but the issue with these old style latches is if you start driving aggressively, doors start flying open

They latch just fine, but there is nothing to prevent them from coming apart if you pull them apart front to rear. The modern style bear claw latch pin has a shoulder on it so it can't pull apart like that.

Stock door/latch

Modified. I flattened this area so I would have plenty of room on the inside between the latch and window track. I then had to move the latch outward on the door as the B-pillar is a bit narrow and I couldn't get the pin far enough inboard on it. No biggie.

Stock catch

The new pin in place.

I didn't like it having all those washers on there so I and bumped the sheet metal out a bit.

Inside with the door closed

Perfect fit. Pulling/pushing down on that lever unlatches the door.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 08-02-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #123
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Fiero column

'54 International
Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #124
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

I had the front end loosely bolted on and it would shift around every time I looked at it, so I decided to tackle that. Core support mount. Speed holes and dimple dies to make it look cool

Bent up a new front crossmember to attach it to. The oem dakota bolted in deal will go away once I weld this in permanent.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 10-22-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #125
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ

Dimple dies do make things look way cooler!
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #126
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Glad you’re back at this!
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #127
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

What do you think of the new wheels?

JK. These are for my daily driver. BUT I wanted to see how the tire size looked in the wheel well. I'll probably go with something around 27" tall vs these at 26"

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 10-29-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #128
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Looks like the ford cop car wheels I was screwing with aren't going to work out. Too little backspace for the front to clear the fenders (the wheel clears by about 1/4", but the tires wouldn't) and I can't move the hoops in any further on the center. Boooo.

I did find another wheel I like that isn't terribly expensive. About $550 for a set of 18x9.5 and $60 for the baby moon caps. The backspacing looks like it'll work with about a 1" spacer. Bonus is they are aluminum and shouldn't weigh 50 lbs each like these cop car wheels

They are made by Vision and are basically an updated version of the old school corvette rally wheels. I can't find an actual picture with the smooth center caps, but I definitely won't be running this style.

The tire size I'd run on this wheel would be 275/40-18 which is ~26.7" tall.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 11-04-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #129
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Bumper thingies. Need to pick up some 2" flat stock to plate them still because I'm too lazy to cut 2" wide strips out of a sheet

'54 International
Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #130
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

I like the chevy rally wheels on chevy’s. Not international.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #131
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

So thinking about this got me to brushed aluminum solid looking wheel covers. I like these.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #132
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

The other option which I really like are the old school minilite wheels that the road race guys used back in the 60's/70's. There are 2 companies that make these in modern sizes and custom backspacing. I'm just being a cheap ass and don't want to spend the money on them They are about $500/each depending on the width.

I'm pretty far off from needing wheels, but they make the biggest impact to the appearance of the truck and makes it look like I'm actually getting somewhere I really need to work on the interior so I can figure out the steering as that is currently the biggest issue I have with the project. So seat mounts, steering column/pedal placement are next on the list.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 11-08-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #133
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

I like those
Old 11-18-2017, 12:49 AM   #134
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Mocked up a seat base. I'm not sure yet if I'll leave the tubes solid from side to side or cut out the center. It does provide quite a bit of storage space so I'm currently leaning towards leaving it (I will build a center brace to bolt to the floor to support it). Tabs are temporary so I could figure out where I wanted the seat.

Now that I have a seat in place, I can tackle the biggest issue which is the steering. I have the column tacked in about where it should end up and I think I can make it work with a few u-joints, which should be here next week.

You can see the cut out in the dash for the original column, the new one and the seat are about 4" closer to the door than original. I don't know why the original stuff was so far towards the center of the truck It feels much nicer to sit in now that you can rest your arm on the door and the steering shaft should actually fit around that giant ass cylinder head

I know it wouldn't be popular, but if I had to do it over again I think I'd go inline 6 of the toyota supra persuasion (2JZ with some turbos on there, yum). Would have saved a lot of firewall modification...

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; Yesterday at 10:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #135
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Finally snagged a shifter for the trans so I can poke a hole in the floor for that soon.

I was all set to bid on an MGW shifter that ended today, but realized I hadn't checked my email yet (had a saved search for mustang shifters). Oh look there is a listing for a Steeda shifter with a BIN for $50. Yes, I will buy that right now. The MGW ended up selling for $137. These 2 brands seem to be the top of the pile from what I've read about mustang shifters. They are both right around $200 new.

Some steering parts showed up from Summit, damn they ship fast. Ordered Friday morning, had in hand Saturday by noon. The rest of the stuff I ordered from Speedway won't be here till the end of the week. Unfortunately I couldn't find the exact items I needed from Summit so I had to order from them.

5 minutes of mock up with what I got from Summit and I can already tell I needed to order the $$$ double cardan steering u-joint. Ugh, FML. The Borgeson piece is $145. Amazon warehouse had an open box return for $60, hopefully it isn't trashed when it gets here. There are cheap joints on ebay but steering isn't something I want to cheap out on. Borgeson all around except for the one specific joint to fit the GM column.

'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; Yesterday at 10:22 PM.